Sound Testing

Sound Testing Ireland

Sound Testing Ireland provide SITRI accredited Acoustic Testing or Sound Insulation Testing as required by Part E of the Building Regulations for all types of residential buildings. Our team of experienced engineers are dedicated to giving our customers the best quality of service and offer advice where possible to help in achieving the required results.

Why do I need sound testing

It is a requirement that new developments and conversions are to be tested prior to completion to demonstrate suitable sound insulation in compliance with Part E of the Building Regulations. It is the responsibility of the developer to commission sound testing and to ensure this is carried out by a member of the SITRI. provides SITRI accredited sound testing thus ensuring fully trained engineers, testing to the latest standards and using calibrated equipment.

What does sound testing involve

Essentially there are two types of sound testing:

Airborne – for a pair of rooms separated by a wall or floor. An airborne sound test is carried out by placing a controlled noise source in one room then taking measurements in both this room and the one separated by the partition wall or floor.

Impact – for a pair of rooms separated by a floor. An impact sound test is carried out by means of using a tapping machine (to simulate footsteps etc.) placed on the floor and the noise is measured in the room below.

Calculations are carried out using the measurements gathered to obtain figures for the amount of sound reduced by the structure. These results are then checked for compliance with the Building Regulations Part E sound insulation for the given type of building.

What types of rooms need sound testing

Tests should be carried out between rooms or spaces that share a separating wall or separating floor. It is preferable that each set of tests contains individual tests in bedrooms and living rooms. Sound Testing should not be carried out between living spaces and corridors, stairwells or hallways.

How many sound tests are required

This depends on the number and type of property/properties being developed. Tests are usually conducted in sets.

Sets of tests in dwelling-houses – One set of tests should comprise of two individual sound insulation tests (two airborne tests) for two pairs of rooms on opposite sides of the separating wall.

Sets of tests in flats with separating floors but without separating walls – One set of tests should comprise four individual sound insulation tests (two airborne tests, two impact tests) on opposite sides of the separating floor.

Sets of tests in flats with a separating floor and separating wall – One set of tests should comprise six individual sound insulation tests (four airborne tests, two impact tests). To conduct a full set of tests, access to at least three flats will be required.

What happens if a sound test fails

Failure in a testing will result in the insulation needing to be improved and the construction type retested.

How can I ensure all sound tests pass first time

If you are unsure of whether your development will meet the requirements, then we may suggest conducting a sample of testing (for each construction type) with design advice to offer suggestions on how to achieve the required standards.

What stage of development should sound testing be carried out

Pre-completion testing is carried out when the building is essentially complete, with doors, windows, fixtures and fittings in place, with no soft floor coverings, furniture or furnishings. This is to ensure the sound insulation testing is only measuring the construction of the building.

sound testing
sound testing